Skip to main content

How To: Do it All.


 Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
              - Goethe

I'm 33 and I never imagined I would be able to live "a life by design" working from home, doing what I love and finding time to do the things I like. This is not a sales pitch, some people love the comfort of having job security in a corporate world and the benefits that come from it.  I grew up with parents who spent a lifetime working 8 to 5pm for the same company; y dad (R.I.P) had a heart attack in his office, undoubtedly caused by the strain of too much work and not enough living. So, for me, getting up to work a full-time job with 1 hour for lunch plus time for commute is more than just unappealing; it's simply NOT AN OPTION.

I've referenced Instagram's Ask Me a Question story "gif" before.  A few weeks ago someone asked "What do you do for work?" I laughed out loud as I pondered how to best answer that question in a short format. Well... I teach ESL every morning to children that are in China. No, I do not speak Chinese. Yes, classes are online. I work in real estate as a personal assistant to Michael, which means whatever he needs me to do, whenever he needs it done, I do it. With real estate there's breathers in between deals that I treasure.  I am a certified Notary in the State of Florida and I am a loan signing agent.  As you may have guessed it, I never get bored. EVER! As for the things I like: I sort and sell antique jewelry on Etsy (link in homepage), I am a brand ambassador for the spectacular brand Sexy Modest (link in homepage) and I oversee my personal page in Instagram which includes insight to my all-time favorite hobby which is keeping a journal. That, on top of church and scripture study, church activities, cooking and caring for a family of 6, having time with Michael and time for myself...you can imagine there is never a dull moment.



So, someone else asked "How do you do it all?" This prompted me to write this as a sort of "day in the life..." approach so you can see how I divide my days and my hours to maximize my time and get things done.

First of, I keep an agenda for lunch dates and appointments, not for every one of my daily activities. Those I plan the night before in a format called "time-blocking".  This concept is easy to master. Divide your day into hours starting with the time you get up and block everything from getting ready, breakfast, driving to point A and point B, doing this, doing that...and eventually deciding what time you're going to sleep that day.  It really is NOT difficult.

Here's an example of a day in my life:

5:40 a.m. - get up, get ready, snack.
6 - 10 a.m. - TEACH ESL
10-10:30 a.m. - eat a full meal
10:30 - 11:30 a.m. - Options: Nap/Journal/Study/Instagram.
11:30 - 11:45 a.m. - Change to go do errands, snack.
12:00 - 2 p.m. - ERRANDS (this includes commute back home).
2:15 - 4:30 p.m. - Real Estate assistance...
4:30 - 6 p.m. - Dinner prep
6 - 6:30 p.m.- DINNER
6:30 - 7 p.m. - rest
7 to 8:30 p.m. - Real Estate assistance...
8:30 p.m. - Netflix and chill with the kids.
9:30 p.m. - Scripture Study as a family.
10 p.m. - Get ready for bed.
11p.m. - SLEEP

Any given day this may change and that's what I love about it. I may have to trade in my 10:30 nap for real estate work because Michael can only do that time in his schedule. That's OK. I could have no errands to run at noon and just schedule cleaning, laundry, getting my nails done... The point is, when you time block your day you get the most out of it. I recommend it to everyone. I get it, if you have children or a full-time job your schedule will look way different. But that's OK. The beauty of time blocking is that it is not a "one size fits all" thing, it is something you tailor to your needs and duties. I honestly don't know if this will help you, but I can assure you that it has helped me and Michael keep our sanity during super busy times with all the projects we're involved in. I don't just have one thing to do and that's a blessing.  Try this, and let me know what you think in the comments below or in my Instagram!!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am 1 in 10.

It's 2019, the "future" we were all expecting to witness with flying cars and magical ovens that can turn a tiny pill into an entire meal.  Technology is advancing, indeed, but are we all falling behind as a species? Holding on to culture and tradition, embracing the "old ways" for whatever reason? Afraid to discuss important topics because they are "taboo"? Even among some of our favorite and closest friends, there's still some things we are not willing to discuss, and as I enter "adulthood", mind you I will be 34 soon, I marvel at how "touchy" some topics are and how all I want is to rip the veil and embrace and discuss and wonder! I have never talked about my journey with endometriosis, but since Julianne Hough has become a voice and advocate for the condition I've been brainstorming how to go about telling my story.  I am 1 in 10 women officially diagnosed with this not-so silent condition that takes a tol

Chronicles of Motherhood - Part 2

Happy mom, happy baby! No? April 26, 2019. "It's 7am on MY BIRTHDAY woo hoo!  My contractions are 5-3 minutes apart, but I am not dilated enough. Still at 2 cm. Michael and I have been in the maternity ward of Celebration Hospital since 11pm last night. He's asleep on the recliner. My mother arrived 1 hr ago. She's asleep on the couch. I thought this would be over by now. I'm always waiting the longest for everything!" - excerpt from Notes app on the phone. I always seem to wait the longest for things that other people get around to doing much earlier than me in their life. If you struggle with anxiety you know how it is, overthinking everything, over-worrying and keeping busy thinking and analyzing things instead of actually doing. I guess it's one way to explain why I'm 34 and having my first child. I mean, there's so many reasons... But we're not here to talk about that. We're here to talk about Elijah Michael; a handsome 9 lbs baby boy