Skip to main content

HOPE or Why I became a Life Coach.

CONTEXT - In our church we don't have a preacher; instead, the congregation is invited to share their testimony of specific topics. This is my take on Hope, in Christ.

 

Hello everyone. This is my first talk ever. I truly feel overcome with gratitude. I hope that if you walk away with anything, let it be the motivation to do whatever it takes to grow closer to Christ, and to seek out the Spirit. 


First, I would like to introduce myself because, even though most of you met me 6 years ago, there's so many new faces that join us; and as it turns out, we haven't been properly introduced. My name is Graciela Moore. I am a Personal Life Coach, focusing on mindfulness, self-love, self-worth, confidence, productivity and faith. These are all the things I focus on in my practice because they're all the things that I, in my imperfections, struggle with at any given time of day.  These are also the things that fuel me and fill my cup. My work, is all in the hopes that you can master those as well.  I felt utterly blessed when I was invited to speak about this particular topic of hope in Christ, because of how essential it has been in my life.

 



First, let's talk about hope as a universal concept, known and appreciated across all nations, religions, and races. Hope is an action verb. It is an actual chemical, cellular reaction in the brain that happens after another action like, envisioning the future, seeing the picture of a loved one, driving past a place that you used to visit a lot, etc. It actually occurs right in that part of the brain that's in between the eyes, behind the skull. It's the same spot where in Hindu tradition, men and women place a red dot on their forehead; what they call "the third eye" in the Buddhist tradition, as well.  I'm particularly drawn and interested in cultural as well as spiritual similarities that we share with one another across the world, because hope is all-enveloping.  The fact that it is an action that you consciously have to be willing to take, makes it by definition, a choice.


When I heard about the doctrine of a pre-mortal existence 6 years ago, I knew that I needed to know more. For two whole years investigating the church, participating in its activities and programs, learning about myself, the universe and finding answers to many existential questions that have always consumed me, I felt the love and approbation from my Heavenly Father, but I still couldn't get baptized because of... reasons. Instead, I made a choice every single day for almost three more years to hold on; to keep learning; to keep asking questions. I hoped in Christ; believing with every fiber of my being that I would receive an answer to my prayers, but not necessarily knowing, because it hadn't happened yet. This introspection and journey made me realize that hope is as equally important as faith. When it comes to a "perfect brightness of hope," that for me is the ultimate goal.


In Life Coaching, we work on setting real goals and agreeing upon actionable steps to achieve said goal. Setting, agreeing, achieving... all choices and all in the hopes of what could come as a result of such effort.


Consider this meeting on this beautiful Sabbath day. The Sacrament, the hymns and the collective feeling of the Spirit that makes it feel like time stands still. We wouldn't be here, if we did not hope that something precious and sacred would come of it.

 

In Romans 12:12, the Lord says "be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." That's not just a prayer or advice; those are instructions, a commandment. Furthermore, it's an exercise. A step by step of three choices that I got to make every single day while I studied the gospel of Christ, grew into a family of my own, witnessed beautiful testimonies flourish around me, as well as my own; and still I couldn't get baptized! I know, you're probably wondering why?! Here's the cliff notes: I couldn't get baptized without taking 100 steps back on the family front. I didn't get baptized because of specific, careful choices and measures that were not only meticulously scaled but prayed about, and sustained with what I now know was a perfect brightness of hope, on my part. Fast forward to today, sharing this message with you,  I can assure you that it was 100% all worth it! I would do it all over again, to re-learn the many lessons I have learned along the way.


Let me share one of my favorite findings during my studies. It's a quote by Russell M. Ballard: "Because we are spirit children of God, everyone has a divine origin, nature and potential." He adds "-this is our identity." and I LOVE THAT! I love that as a result of my origin I can envision a future filled with love and promise. Because of my divine roots - forget Puerto Rican,  hispanic, stepmother, sister, coach- take me back to the pre-mortal experience. Because of my point of origin in the universe, and the actionable choice that brought me here to this time and day, I can look at the future with confidence, complete trust and conviction. Incidentally, these are all terms that Google uses to define hope. 


Am I afraid? None at all. A little intimidated, maybe. The future is uncertain, for sure. Yet, it shouldn't be scary if you are holding on to what you're hoping for, if you are self-aware and prepared for whatever comes. The Lord says "be joyful in hope," be optimistic and happy despite all of it, in spite of the opposition and looking straight ahead at the ultimate goal. What would that mean for you?


When someone in scripture cries, in the midst of death and war and despair "O Lord, give us strength, according to our faith which is in Christ", they hope to be blessed, even delivered from the pain. When we bow our heads at the end of the day and exercise our faith, unto repentance; we do it in the hopes that we receive a sign, a validation that He still loves us, accepts us, and forgives us every single time.  When we trust someone, we hope they'll prove us right.  The questions I ask the most in my practice are "Who are you now?" "Who do you want to be?" and "What's getting in the way?"  I've come to realize that hope is the glue that keeps it all together. 


I always pray before meeting with a client. I pray because in my line of work, as a facilitator of self-discovery; I need to be able to achieve being a vessel of hope, myself; and I couldn't do that without Christ. Without Him, I couldn't be this living proof that happiness is possible or that this life is so special and so good. Regardless of whether they're members of our church or not, I want each and every person who reaches out to connect to feel included, loved and supported; and to finish each session knowing that hope makes everything possible; happiness, redemption, exaltation. No matter the differences that separate us, we have hope and love in common. 


The fact that hopes demands an action also makes it a tool. You come unto Christ hoping to fill your cup, hoping to bless others, hoping to rekindle the spark of the Spirit within you. You use hope and other tools like prayer, ordinances or serving others as conduits to qualify for the reward that you seek. I can testify that it's worth all the effort to hope, to dream, to fulfill your divine potential in order to find the mission that you were put on this planet to complete.  Let's hold on to the hope that we are strong enough and faithful enough to harness the power of the Atonement of Christ. 


Let's not forsake the hope that whatever is troubling you today, will not be forever; because it won't! The only things infinite, the only things that are forever are three things: 1. Heavenly Father's love for all of his children. 2. Our eternal lives in His embrace along with our whole family and 3. The gift of joy in His sacrifice. Those are forever. Those are worth hoping for, and holding on to. 

 

Proverbs 23:18 shares "There is surely a future hope for you." That word "surely" tells me that wherever you are in your journey, wherever you are in your faith; there's so much more that awaits you. I can attest to that. I live it every single day, and He never lets me down. 

 

Philippians 1:6 is a treasure for me, it says "Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..." We are all called to do so many different things, all good, all wondrous, all for a purpose.  What are you being called to do in your life, that maybe you have procrastinated? This is your sign to move forward, to keep trying and to never give up.  Find the tools, find the answers and the connections to do whatever it takes.

My hope for you today is that you remember that you are worthy; that you feel confident in the love you deserve; that you achieve to your highest-divine potential; and I want you to believe that what you're feeling when you are hopeful is true and very real. 


I am here for you. 🌻

 

Connect with me here.  

Learn more about our church here.


How do you see hope in your life? Comment below!

 

 

 

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am 1 in 10.

It's 2019, the "future" we were all expecting to witness with flying cars and magical ovens that can turn a tiny pill into an entire meal.  Technology is advancing, indeed, but are we all falling behind as a species? Holding on to culture and tradition, embracing the "old ways" for whatever reason? Afraid to discuss important topics because they are "taboo"? Even among some of our favorite and closest friends, there's still some things we are not willing to discuss, and as I enter "adulthood", mind you I will be 34 soon, I marvel at how "touchy" some topics are and how all I want is to rip the veil and embrace and discuss and wonder! I have never talked about my journey with endometriosis, but since Julianne Hough has become a voice and advocate for the condition I've been brainstorming how to go about telling my story.  I am 1 in 10 women officially diagnosed with this not-so silent condition that takes a tol

How To: Do it All.

 Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.               - Goethe I'm 33 and I never imagined I would be able to live "a life by design" working from home, doing what I love and finding time to do the things I like. This is not a sales pitch, some people love the comfort of having job security in a corporate world and the benefits that come from it.  I grew up with parents who spent a lifetime working 8 to 5pm for the same company; y dad (R.I.P) had a heart attack in his office, undoubtedly caused by the strain of too much work and not enough living. So, for me, getting up to work a full-time job with 1 hour for lunch plus time for commute is more than just unappealing; it's simply NOT AN OPTION. I've referenced Instagram's Ask Me a Question story "gif" before.  A few weeks ago someone asked "What do you do for work?" I laughed out loud as I pondered how to best answer that question in a short

Chronicles of Motherhood - Part 2

Happy mom, happy baby! No? April 26, 2019. "It's 7am on MY BIRTHDAY woo hoo!  My contractions are 5-3 minutes apart, but I am not dilated enough. Still at 2 cm. Michael and I have been in the maternity ward of Celebration Hospital since 11pm last night. He's asleep on the recliner. My mother arrived 1 hr ago. She's asleep on the couch. I thought this would be over by now. I'm always waiting the longest for everything!" - excerpt from Notes app on the phone. I always seem to wait the longest for things that other people get around to doing much earlier than me in their life. If you struggle with anxiety you know how it is, overthinking everything, over-worrying and keeping busy thinking and analyzing things instead of actually doing. I guess it's one way to explain why I'm 34 and having my first child. I mean, there's so many reasons... But we're not here to talk about that. We're here to talk about Elijah Michael; a handsome 9 lbs baby boy